No matter how you slice it, Vaccine debate is always a war zone.

Now days, everyone has heard of the vaccine debate.  It's more front and center, then many other factors of Autism Awareness unfortunately.  Beliefs divide friends and family, and often garner enemies in the blog-o-sphere.  For many, it's an emotional battlefield, where no one is a clear winner.

My view lands on the pro-vaccine side.  I could give countless examples of why I feel that way, but that really wasn't the intention or point of this particular post.

I was recently pseudo-lambasted on another blog over such a debate.  This particular post was in reference to a very difficult decision a family with a history of Autism and vaccine reaction, and where to proceed to next.  There was reference that bends the direction of being pro-vaccine, and some coverage on how the whole debate should be scientifically dead.

Let me preface by saying that I'm an avid reader of the anti-vax nonsense.  On a daily basis, I subject myself to their twisted logic, endless rants, and fervor for their belief that I can only compare to that of common zealotry.  It pains me to no end (and often leaves me wanting to jab a sharp implement into my temple to simply stop the headache I have received from reading their tireless tirades).  I, unfortunately, have a lot of experience with their views on the subject of vaccines, but more so, their view on Autism.

Fast forward (or rewind back to the blog posting I was reading).  The blog author of this particular post, was asking the question as to why it is this debate is even still alive.  Well, don't ya know, I inputted my two cents with the experience (emphasis on my experience, not to be confused with their belief system).  I commented that in my experience, anti-vaxxers need something or someone to blame, and are often "mad" that they didn't get the child they wanted.  Mind you, this is their opinion, and if you read many of their blogs, you will find much in the way of evidence to support my assertion.  Hence why I made the "mad" statement.  This is their interpretation and view, not mine.

Autism in general comes emotionally loaded for those of us either involved with, or affected by it.  There are far too many factors to list why this occurs.  Jumping the gun isn't fairly uncommon when people read posts related to the topic, and glean simply one or two action words that send them into hostility or offense.

The first commenter to take my post out of context, relayed that in her personal experience she had never come across a single parent that was mad their child had Autism.  While she is obviously fortunate, I cannot say the same for myself.  I have had the displeasure personally, and as I stated before, such beliefs are alive and well in the anti-vax forums.

Second commenter, reiterated them same sentiment.  Blog author then had to feel as though he may have offended some people by saying previously that he understood the view I had mentioned on certain parents out there feeling anger for their children being Autistic.  She then responded by saying that she understood that was not his view, but that the statement had come from a comment made by someone else (that someone else of course being myself).

Here, is where emotion enters the picture, as often happens with this particular debate.  Evidently, my statement that there are other parents out there who are "mad" that their children are Autistic, and not that this is my particular view on the subject gets muddied.  I at no time asserted that was my sentiment, feeling, or opinion on the topic.  Often times emotion leads to cherry picking of a particular statement or two, or confusion of the context.

As I have mentioned, spend some time on the more popular anti-vax website, blogs, boards, and forums.  You will find statements such as "Autism stole my child's soul", "Autism kidnapped my child", and "Autism stole my child's future".  These are their statements, not mine.  Such statements are indicative of anger and hostility about the condition.  They are not child centered; they are complaints of loss on the parents part.

I need not clarify my view on my son's Autism, but since we're here, and people want to misinterpret what I say, might as well make a go of it!  Am I sad that my child has a disability, of course.  Am I sad that he will not be afforded as many options, opportunities, and experiences as a "typical" child will be; absolutely.  I am however, in no way angry about it.  I get angry at the ignorance, and prejudice he often encounters.  In retrospect, his disability is almost a blessing in disguise.  I have a "neurotypical" teenager, who in less than two months will graduate from high school.  Who has been afforded every opportunity to succeed, and have a plentiful life.  Said child, lacks such motivation or concern for her impending future.  In many ways, the issues we as parents encounter with "typical" children are far more difficult than that of a disabled child.  My son will not encounter the typical trials and tribulations of being a teenager, and for that, in many ways I am thankful.

So in the future, I suppose I will have to be more careful how I paraphrase others opinions, so as to avoid having them confused with my own.  It's rather unfortunate, when it seems so clear, but often this is the case when it comes to human interaction; it can result in war, rather than peace.

0 comments:

AddThis Social Bookmarking Button

About this blog

Special Educator and mother to a child with Autism. Much to say, but so very little time as it so often goes!


Followers